- Avoid wearing expensive jewellery and keep your money, passport and valuables secure and well-hidden.
- Avoid external money pouches, dangling backpacks and camera bags.
- When bargaining or discussing prices, do not do so with your money or wallet in your hands.
- Don't wander around at night. Always stay in a group and use a licensed taxi.
- Be sceptical of any strangers who approach you asking if you remember them from the airport, hotel, etc. no matter how friendly the seem.
- Keep your bags close to you at all times.
- Only exchange money using authorised banks or money-changers and always insist on a reciept.
- Try to learn at least a few phrases in the local language - it will be appreciated and can help you be more aware of your surroundings.
- Don't become involved in drugs of any kind. The penalties for smuggling, possession and use of prohibited substances are severe in many of our destinations. Convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines, irrespective of nationality.
If you have any specific questions about how to stay safe in-country, feel free to get in touch. Our team have visited all of our destinations and so have valuable first-hand experience to share.
Got any other advice you think we should add here? Contact us.